More

My photo
Christian, Husband, Father of Two, and Occasional World Traveler

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jodhpur Day 2

We have 3 appointments today. One place is a salvage company. They make furniture from rail road ties, window frames, ornate ceiling panels, type set boxes, Coca-Cola boxes, milk cans, wooden bowls, etc., A interesting place. It is probably not a place my company would do business, but it certainly had some unique items.

We were done by 130 pm, so I had the rest of the day free. After checking with the concierge, he sets me up with a driver for half a day. He drives me the Maharaja of Jodhpur's palace. It is a huge red sandstone palace overlooking the city. It has a large center copula with minarets. Beautiful building. The palace is part museum, hotel, and residence. The king during the first half of the twentieth century was forward thinking and generous to the people in the area.

The second stop is a memorial to all the marharagas of the area. The cremated remains are in small ornate structures surrounding a large "temple". A guide explained how the large building was there for quite reflection and meditation. You are required to remove shoes before climbing the stairs. My 80 rupee guide offered to guard my sneakers. He got me at the ticket both. He offered to tell me all about the place and take my picture. For $2 it was worth the experience. He had been doing this job for 40 years. The guide did not look old and he explained he ate no pizza or burgers and that kept him young.  He offered to tour the fort with me, but I politely declined.

Off to the fort, There were bus loads of tourist here. After walking through a minimum security check you walk up to the ticket booth. 400 rupees for the visit, 100 rupees to take photos, and 30 rupees for the elevator. All total less than $10. The fort offered audio tour with headphones. Walk from point 1 to 33 and hear all about this and that. I don't remember a lot of details but it is an huge place. It has been built on over the centuries. It was used as a fort and royal residence until the 19th century. Lot of palatins for carrying royals in, art work, weapons, and colorfully decorated rooms for royals.

The driver offered to take me to the market, but I decided that was enough for the day. It is fun and I am blessed to be able to see such sights in my travels. But it would be better to share it with my loved ones.

I do have photos on my Google+ page.  Try +ScottPropst 

No comments: