More

My photo
Christian, Husband, Father of Two, and Occasional World Traveler

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Christmas in Indonesia and Singapore

Only 7% of the population of Indonesia is Christian, but I have seen Christmas decorations here and in Singapore. There was Christmas music in the hotels, for the benefit for Westerners I am sure.

They have Santa hats on the sign at the entrance to the Shangrila Hotel Surabaya.
There is the SuperMal (sic) in Surabaya, the Paragon Mall in Semerang, and the SimLin mall in Singapore. They have Christmas decoration in there atrium areas. December 7 was the Islamic New Year with many people off work. The mall in Semerang was full with alot of additional stalls in the ground floor. I realized this because I went back a couple days later and they were being taken down.

In Singapore there were Christmas trees. Most were blue or silvery. I saw this one while resting my feet. There are Jewish menorahs on the tree.
Christmas Tree in Singapore shopping area
Close by are Buddhist temples.

No comments: