More

My photo
Christian, Husband, Father of Two, and Occasional World Traveler

Sunday, January 19, 2014

India Wow

Wow is the only expressions able to convey the India experience. There are so many things going on it is difficult to comprehend. My travels begin at a western hotel near the Indira Gandhi International airport. I am picked up in a local cab with two guys from a buying house for the company. Witnessing Delhi from the back seat of a taxi.

In many ways Delhi is like the other Asian cities I have visited. A lot of abandoned building line the roads. Falling down or partially pulled down in disrepair. The next area may be new construction. Blue tarp housing pitched in corners and beside the roads. Fruit and food sellers along the roads.

Trash is everywhere. Not a little here and there. It is piled along the roads. There are large dumps in site of the highway. I suppose the people come to overlook the mess. Just as they are not conscious of the animals wandering the trash and streets. I expected to see the cows wandering the streets. I had seen pictures of cows. But there was much more. One area had at least a hundred monkeys hanging out. They were in the road and in the trees and on the wall and everywhere.

I was warned by a friend to watch out for pack of dogs. I saw many large dogs together throughout the city. Only one appeared in bad shape. They must be able to scrounge enough to survive. Also seen, horses (pulling carriages, but also ridden). A herd of burros grazing beside the off ramp of a highway. Hundreds of large black birds on roof tops. There was one pig with a group of cattle.

Then there are the people. A lot of people. I saw several folks getting a haircut or shave beside the road in a makeshift barber chair. Most people were walking or standing waiting for bus or something. There were bicycle, bicycle rickshaws, 3 wheeled auto rickshaws, motorcycles and many tiny cars.

That's all I can describe now. 

No comments: